10 Tips to Improve Respiratory Health
It has been observed that infectious diseases affect us like clockwork. Certain pathogens are particularly active during specific seasons. From malaria to pneumonia, infectious diseases peak during certain times of the year. This year, as the whole world is working towards controlling COVID-19 which causes respiratory complications, especially among the vulnerable group, we at SuVitas has been creating awareness on effective ways to build good respiratory health.
10 tips to strengthen your respiratory health:
- Quit smoking and minimize exposure to secondhand smoke. Tobacco is one of the leading causes of all respiratory illnesses including Streptococcus pneumonia, Haemophilus influenzae and Legionella pneumophila etc.
- If you are living in a city, travel to the countryside occasionally to breathe fresh air. Both indoor and outdoor pollution can negatively affect the capacity of the lung.
- Sleep well and stay active.
- Eat balanced meals and maintain a healthy weight.
- Maintain personal hygiene. Make sure you frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Stay away from those showing symptoms of flu or cold. In case you are unwell, wear masks and sneeze to a tissue to avoid spread of infection.
- Try some effective ways to improve lung health by removing excess mucus from the lungs thereby enhancing breathing. Some of these methods include- steam therapy, postural drainage techniques, controlled coughing, chest percussion etc.
- Consume more anti-inflammatory foods like berries, turmeric, green leafy vegetables, walnuts, lentils, beans etc.
- Drink hot water more frequently. Sipping green tea will be a great idea to keep lung inflammation at bay. Being storehouse of antioxidants, green tea can significantly improve lung function by reducing the effects of smoke inhalation.
- Try some simple exercises that can toughen the capacity of your lung to pump the oxygen your body needs and fight infections. Some of these exercise are- breathing techniques like pursed-lips breathing and diaphragmatic breathing, guided yoga, aerobics etc.
Remember, more than any facial mask or sanitizer, a good immunity system and strong respiratory health can offer you more protection from any viral infection.
Comments are closed.